I've been obsessed with paleo recipes lately.
Here is my favorite recipe taken from http://myheartbeets.com/paleo-chocolate-cake/ which is now my BASE GO-TO RECIPE for making muffins and cakes.
It's dairy free. Paleo. Refined sugar free. Grain free. AND IT TASTES MAGNIFICENTLY DEVINE.
The original recipe posted is for a chocolate paleo cake which is seriously one of the best chocolate cakes i've had. Don't let the 'refined sugar free' and 'paleo' descriptions fool you into thinking it doesn't taste good.
- 1 cup almond meal (i get blanched almond meal from Honest To Goodness)
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup sifted coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bi-carb soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup maple syrup or 3/4 cup rice malt syrup
- ½ cup ghee or grass-fed butter (1 stick), melted ( i use Mainland Certified Organic butter from New Zealand - available in Coles supermarkets in AU)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chunks (i just replace with normal chocolate chunks or omit altogether)
- In a small bowl combine the dry ingredients (almond meal, cacao, coconut flour, baking soda and salt).
- Add the maple syrup, melted butter and mix well.
- Then, add the eggs and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chunks and spoon the batter into two greased 6-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool.
- I use this same recipe for muffins, but then i use 1/4 coconut oil and 1/4 cup grass-fed butter (this helps make it taste better).
- My most favorite recipe of all time is banana blueberry muffins: Omit the chocolate ingredients, add 3 mashed bananas, replace with 3 mashed bananas, add in 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg + mix in blueberries
HAPPY BAKING GUYS xx