What's the difference between a toner and a mist?
Have you ever wondered about the difference between a face toner and a facial mist, and where they fit in your skincare routine?
Well, although face toner and facial mist both provide a range of impressive benefits to your skin, they serve quite different roles.
We’ve gone ahead and done the research so you don’t have to – learn more about the main toner and face mist benefits below:
The role of a Face Mist vs Toner
Applied after cleansing your face (in the morning and evening), the primary role of toners were traditionally to remove traces of oil, makeup and impurities left behind after cleansing, and to help balance skin . Toners were traditionally alcohol-based with astringent properties however can leave skin feeling tight and dry.
New toner formulations these days have evolved - now you can choose a toner targeted towards a specific concern - exfoliate away dead skin cells, mattify and remove excess oil, and/or to hydrate, smooth and soften skin.
Toning also helps to prepare your face for the next stage of your skincare ingredients, helping them be better absorbed.
Because our skin is exposed to a lot of stressors on a daily basis (for example hormone imbalances, air conditioning, sun exposure, pollution and more), over time this can dehydrate and irritate it.
That’s where hydrating facial mists come in! Hydrating face mists can be spritzed on not only just after cleansing, but anytime through the day to receive immediate and ongoing hydration.
The best facial mists are formulated with a range of lightweight, replenishing ingredients to help rejuvenate skin and quickly refresh.
Facial mists can be used multiple times throughout the day;
- on a bare face
- after toner and under your hydrating serum/moisturiser
- face mist over your makeup to act as a natural make-up setting spray (but with more hydrating benefits!)
- whenever you feel tired or your skin feels tight and you want a dewy, glowing appearance
- to improve the appearance of dry flakes and calm redness
They are great in both warm weather (to cool down and replenish moisture), and in colder climates (since skin is also naturally drier in winter).
Key Ingredients to Look for in a Facial Mist:
The Benefits of Bulgarian Rose
Certified organic Bulgarian Rose hydrosol is a higher quality, premium alternative to ‘Rose Water’ found in some facial mists.
Rose Water face mists usually have a lower concentration of ingredients and are mixed mainly with water, making them less potent and effective in hydrating and calming.
Rose Hydrosol facial mists, on the other hand, retain more skin beneficial minerals, cellulose and aromatic compounds from Bulgarian organic roses.
Additional skin benefits of Rose Hydrosol face mist:
- Proven anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
- Calm, balance and soothe itchy, irritated and damaged skin
- All-natural Bulgarian rose scent
- Harvested from Bulgaria’s legendary Valley of the Roses
- Higher quality and concentration of rose petals
The Benefits of Pentavitin®
Pentavitin® is a 100% natural, plant derived and clinically proven ingredient that acts as a moisture magnet to restore hydration to the deeper layers of your skin without washing off.
A little goes a long way! Studies show that as little as 1% of this ingredient will help improve skin hydration, barrier functionality and reduce signs of dry skin by 30% after 4 weeks.
In a face mist Pentavitin® helps deliver the following benefits:
- Instantly hydrates and skin feels more comfortable and smoother
- Improves the skin barrier
- Provides deep and long-lasting moisture (clinically proven to last up to 72 hours, even after cleansing)!
- Help reduce redness, itchiness and even skin flakiness
The Benefits of Centella Asiatica
This nutrient rich natural antioxidant is native to Asia. Both the leaf and the water it grows in have restorative and healing properties that are highly beneficial to skin.
It’s also known as “Tiger Grass”, because tigers in India have been observed rolling in this herb. Afterwards it was noted it helped heal their infections and wounds!
Key benefits of Centella Asiatica in a face mist or toner:
- Hydrates, heals, calms and soothes skin
- Reduces inflammation
- The flavonoids in Centella help reduce free radical damage caused by environmental stressors (like the sun and pollution)
The Benefits of Kakadu Plum
This natural ingredient originates from the ancient bushlands of the Northern Territory, Australia. Kakadu Plum is an antioxidant that contains the world’s best-known source of concentrated Vitamin C.
When applied to the skin, Kakadu Plum has a range of benefits, including:
- Brightening effect on skin
- Reduces inflammation
- Hydrates skin
- Protects against free radical damage from environmental stressors
- Face mist with Vitamin C
If you are looking for a high-quality face mist in Australia, you can find all of the incredible ingredients discussed above in our best-selling Rose Hydration Mist.
It hydrates and protects skin from dryness and flaking – leaving it visibly softer, smoother and healthier looking.
Do I Need Both a Toner and Face Mist?
Ideally, yes! Toners and face mists bring different benefits to your skin. Both can be used on a daily basis, in any season – and when used together, they can boost results from the ingredients in your skincare.
For example, together a toner and face mist can help enhance of your serum or moisturiser if it’s a “humectant” (ingredient that helps skin retain moisture – like Hyaluronic Acid).
By using your toner, following with your face spritz (to make skin a little “damp”) and then applying your serum, the ingredients will bind more effectively together and add more moisture back into your skin.
If you have dry or sensitive skin, or want to prevent signs of premature aging, it all comes down to having hydrated skin and products that lock in moisture – without drying or harsh ingredients that can irritate your skin.
To recap, here are the:
Key Benefits of a Toner
- Balances skin
- Applied after cleansing in your skincare routine
- Won’t strip natural oils
- Can hydrate whilst managing oiliness
- Primes skin for the next step in your skincare routine
- Can be targeted to your skin type and concerns
Key Benefits of a Bulgarian Rose Hydration Face Mist
- Calms appearance of facial redness and irritation
- Delivers deep, long-lasting hydration
- Visibly and instantly refreshes skin
- Helps improve skin barrier
- Non-greasy, lightweight and quick absorbing formula
- A face mist setting spray over before or after makeup
- Can be applied at any time throughout the day and not limited to just after cleansing in your skincare routine
- Ideal for all skin types including dry, sensitive and mature
To discover more about this product, and how to quickly hydrate your skin with a face mist at home, or on the go, click here!
Oh, and did we mention our Bulgarian Rose Hydration Face Mist is vegan and cruelty free? It’s also a sensitive skin-friendly formulation, free from any synthetic preservatives and irritants – because your skin deserves the very best facial mist!